Wycombe Wanderers’ first-ever League One play-off semi-final was a thrilling encounter as they smashed Joey Barton’s Fleetwood 4-1 at Highbury Stadium.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men, who have struggled on the road all season, produced an incredible display that saw three goals get scored within the first six minutes, a goalkeeping error, two red cards, and a missed penalty.

READ MORE: As it happened: Fleetwood Town 1-4 Wycombe Wanderers 

The game got off to a lightning start when Wycombe took the lead within one minute of the match through Nnamdi Ofoborh, who smashed in Matt Bloomfield’s cross from 25-yards.

The 20-year-old, who is on loan from Bournemouth, connected with the ball so well that it took all the players by surprise.

It was his second goal of the season.

However, the joy of going 1-0 up impacted Wycombe’s concentration as two minutes later, Fleetwood was awarded a penalty.

After the ball was lofted into the air, Ryan Allsop went up for a catch the ball after slightly brushing Lewis Gibson, referee Tony Harrington pointed to the spot and up-stepped Ched Evans to send Allsop the wrong way.

Evans was sent-off against Wycombe back in February.

READ MORE: Will our season have the dream ending? Take a look at Wycombe's season so far

But this didn’t faze Gareth Ainsworth’s men as just two minutes later, Joe Jacobson scored directly from a corner to regain Wycombe’s lead.

The goal was then later credited to Alex Cairns as an own goal, however, if it does go to the left-back, it will be his 11th goal of the campaign.

This got better for the Chairboys as they continued to press Joey Barton’s Cod Army, as on 33 minutes, Wycombe were awarded a penalty and had a golden chance to really fasten their play-off final place.

Lewie Coyle, who joined Fleetwood permanently from Leeds in January, was shown a straight red card for a terrible challenge on Jacobson, which led to some ugly scenes between both sets of players.

READ MORE: 'I wanted it to feel like we weren't apart' - Ainsworth on WhatsApp calls with his players

And even though things had calmed down, more drama was to follow as Jacobson picked himself up, took the penalty but it was saved by Cairns who got low to his left.

The rebound was then met by David Wheeler who was then again denied by the goalkeeper, as Cairns tipped the midfielder’s shot onto the post.

The penalty missed did seem to affect Wycombe’s flow but this was soon forgotten as in the third of five added minutes at the end of the first-half, David Wheeler did eventually get on the scoresheet.

After Fred Onyedinma’s cross was deflected off Alex Samuel’s back, the ball ricocheted up into the air and there was Wheeler to fire it on in the volley from 10 yards.

READ MORE: 'You've got to give him some respect' - Ainsworth full of praise for Joey Barton

The second-half started in slower fashion but 10 minutes in, Wycombe sealed the win through Alex Samuel, after a huge goalkeeping error from Cairns.

Allsop, who had sent a long free-kick into the Fleetwood box, was fumbled by Cairns who dropped the ball and there was Alex Samuel to acrobatically tap it in from 10 yards.

It was his first goal since January.

This completely killed-off Fleetwood’s chances of getting back into the match, and this was confirmed when Paddy Madden, the Cod Army’s top goal scorer, was shown two yellow cards in the space of a minute.

The striker, who had only been on the pitch for 18 minutes, was shown a yellow card for simulation after tangling with Darius Charles in the Wycombe penalty area, and after he didn’t get the decision he wanted, he told the assistant referee too much of what he thought.

READ MORE: Ainsworth on how empty stadiums could benefit the Chairboys

This will mean he will miss the second-leg at Adams Park, as well as Coyle.

It was very much Wycombe’s night as they took a commanding lead back to Buckinghamshire.

The second leg will be played at Adams Park on Monday, July 6.