Wycombe Wanderers will play in the League One Play-Off final for the first time, after defeating Fleetwood Town in a thrilling game at Adams Park.

Taking a 4-1 lead back from Highbury Stadium on Friday night, Wycombe were second best in the second leg but two goals from Fred Onyedinma sealed the Chairboys' place at Wembley on July 13, where they will play Oxford United. 

Wycombe were very much under the cosh during the opening 45 minutes with Joey Barton’s men pressing the home side, with Fleetwood having four shots on goal by the 10th minute.

READ MORE: As it happened - Wycombe Wanderers 2-2 Fleetwood Town

Gareth Ainsworth’s side, who lost to the Cod Army at home back in February, couldn’t get into the game as Fleetwood played Wycombe off the park, with Wes Burns, Josh Morris, Danny Andrew and Callum Connolly all trying their luck.

They may not have tested Allsop in the Wycombe goal, but it was a clear indication of what Fleetwood had come down to do.

So it was no surprise that Fleetwood took the lead midway through the first-half.

Danny Andrew, who came into the Fleetwood side following the suspension of Lewie Coyle in the first leg, fired home a wonderful first-time half-volley from 20-yards, hard and low past Allsop.

Wycombe just couldn’t get into the game as Barton’s men just pressed the Chairboys backline and after skipper Matt Bloomfield went off injured just before half-time, the worries started to creep in.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth praises fitness team after Fleetwood win

But the home side started to get into the game when Nnamdi  Ofoborh tried his luck from 50-yards and nearly caught a scrabbling Alex Cairns off his line.

After the former Leeds keeper saw his clearance not get past the half-way line, the 20-year-old, took a touch and smashed it towards the BMI Healthcare Terrace.

But thankfully for the keeper, he managed to claw it away.

From the resulting corner, Joe Jacobson was up to his old tricks as he again tried to score straight from the set-piece, but his effort crashed off the crossbar.

These two efforts were the best for Wycombe during a first-half where they were very much second best.

If Fleetwood were the better side in the opening 45 minutes, then Wycombe were on a different level during the first few moments of the second period, as they pressed Barton’s men from the get-go.

And this resulted in the Chairboys getting their leveller on the night through Onyedinma.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth on Fleetwood smashing: 'Hopefully, people won’t keep writing us off'

The 23-year-old, who has missed so much of the season due to injury, ran from the half-way line into the Fleetwood box before being blocked in his path by Harry Souttar on the byline.

However, Souttar inexplicably kept the ball in play and passed it straight to the winger, who fired underneath Cairns to give Wycombe their fifth goal of the tie, just two minutes into the second-half.

It looked like Wycombe were going to see the rest of the game out.

But on the hour mark, Fleetwood were given a lifeline when they were awarded their second penalty against the Chairboys in three days.

Joe Jacobson was deemed to have brought down Barrie McKay and up stepped Ched Evans to send Allsop the wrong way.

This gave Fleetwood the lead for the second time in the evening.

READ MORE: Two reds, a goalkeeping error and a missed penalty: Wycombe smash Fleetwood at Highbury Stadium

The tie was then wrapped up when Onyedinma got his second of the game in injury-time.

Cue wild celebrations at Adams Park, as Wycombe, who were tipped to go down at the start of the season, are one game away from the Championship.

Wycombe will take on Oxford on Monday, July 13.