Wycombe Wanderers will be playing Championship football for the first time in their 133-year-history after they defeated Oxford United in the League One play-off final at Wembley.

Goals from Anthony Stewart and a penalty from Joe Jacobson gave Wycombe the victory in an edgy and close game at the home of English football.

READ MORE: Oxford United 1-2 Wycombe Wanderers as it happened 

Oxford started off with more of the ball but this seemed to suit Wycombe’s game, as the Chairboys sat back and let their opponents tire out. 

And this resulted in Wycombe taking the lead after nine minutes.

Joe Jacobson, who has been one of Wycombe’s best players in an incredible campaign, was at the heart of it as his inswinging corner left-footed corner caused havoc in the Oxford box, and there was Anthony Stewart to head the ball towards goal.

Aided by a huge deflection of Yellows keeper Simon Eastwood, the ball bounced off the United stopper and into the back of the net.

Replays showed that the header may not be going in, but the goal was credited to Wycombe’s number five.

It was his fourth goal of the season.This was very much the best moment of the first-half as both sides were cagey and were not letting each other have any space, with long-range efforts from Marcus Browne and Sam Long being Karl Robinson’s men best chances of the first-half.

READ MORE: This is what people are saying ahead of Wycombe's big match today

United kept on knocking on the Wycombe’s door but with the backline of Grimmer, Stewart, Charles and Jacobson, Oxford were struggling to break them down and therefore decided to attack the wingback areas.

But Wycombe held their own and after Fred Onyedinma had two half chances during the first period, one of which was spilled by Eastwood but to no avail, the Chairboys went into break 1-0 up, and were 45 minutes away from Championship football.

The second-half started like the first with Oxford on the front foot, but this time, they came firing out of the traps.

James Henry, who scored the winner against the Chairboys back in December, fired into two low crosses and there was Stewart and Darius Charles to heroically clear it away.

READ MORE: Wycombe are off to Wembley! Chairboys to play Oxford United in the League One Play-Off Final

Wycombe, despite being 1-0 up, were hanging on for dear life in the opening moments of the second period and after more crosses were fired into the box, it was a cross that gave the Kassam Stadium side their equaliser on 57 minutes.

Mark Sykes, who hadn’t scored since December, fired in what seemed to be a nothing cross into an empty Wycombe penalty area.

However, the ball flew over Ryan Allsop’s head and nestled into the back of the net.

Even though it was frustrating, Oxford deserved their goal.

The Oxford onslaught continued as captain Rob Dickie had two headers in a matter of seconds saved brilliantly by Allsop, as he kept Wycombe into the game.

But this came to nothing as Wycombe were given a golden opportunity to go ahead which they took.

READ MORE: As it happened - Wycombe Wanderers 2-2 Fleetwood Town

With 11 minutes to go, Eastwood and Onyedinma clattered into each other into the penalty box and referee Robert Jones had no option but to point to the spot.

After both players were both given treatment, there was Joe Jacobson to calmly slot it down the middle and it gave Wycombe a dream lead.

It was his 12th goal of the season.

Oxford continued to attack and despite having five minutes of injury-time, it was Wycombe’s night.

Remember the date: Monday, July 13, 2020, Wembley Stadium, London on a drizzly night: Wycombe Wanderers, a team that were in the non-league 30 years ago, are now in the second tier of English football.

Gareth Ainsworth, you have a magic hat.