Wycombe Wanderers were knocked out of the Carabao Cup after they lost 6-1 away at Manchester City – the cup holders.

The first-half saw the current Premier League champions and cup holders dominate possession throughout the opening 45 minutes, as they had the first chance of the contest, but Raheem Sterling couldn’t get onto the end of Riyad Mahrez’s cross.

This was a regular theme as Sterling, Mahrez, Ferran Torres, Phil Foden, and Kevin de Bruyne pulled the strings.

Despite this, Anthony Stewart, Ryan Tafazolli, Jordan Obita, Jason McCarthy, and Joe Jacobson did well to hold onto their own, as it was a sea of City attacks, but nothing really that tested David Stockdale in the Wanderers goal.

And yet, incredibly, it was the away side that took the lead.

A Jacobson corner was punched away by City’s second-choice keeper, Zack Steffen.

He cleared it at a relatively good distance but it fell to Sullay Kaikai who took a shot from 20-yards, which then deflected to Tafazolli in the six-yard box.

The centre-back calmly played it across the danger zone first time and there was Brandon Hanlan who tapped in from close range.

It was his first goal for the club and it was scored in front of an ecstatic away end.

Just over 20 minutes in, and Wycombe Wanderers were 1-0 up away at the home of the Premier League champions.

The goal seemed to kick some life into City as they just piled on the pressure which eventually broke through.

Moments after going 1-0 down, Stockdale produced two great saves from Sterling and Torres, but after 28 minutes, seven minutes after Wycombe scored, Pep’s men got their equaliser through de Bruyne, who easily slotted it past the former Fulham man from seven-yards.

It was a good finish.

Wanderers didn’t offer much which allowed the Carabao Cup holders to go on the front foot, and after Sterling and Mahrez both hit the post in quick succession, they went into the half-time break 3-1 up.

First, Mahrez slotted home after being assisted by one of many City’s youngsters in Josh Wilson-Esbrand from 10-yards on 42 minutes, before Phil Foden unleashed a thunderbolt from long-range that flew past Stockdale into the Wycombe goal.

 The second-half was a mirror of the first, as Wycombe had a couple of half-chances to get themselves back into the contest, as Hanlan fired wide from 20-yards before Stewart unleashed a rocket that just flew past Steffen’s goal from long-range.

But the night belonged to City, especially Foden who was named as the Man of the Match as the home side ran riot in the second-half.

In the final 20 minutes of the match, they went to overdrive and scored three times with Torres, Mahrez and Cole Palmer all getting onto the scoresheet.

Wycombe can now focus on their promotion-pushing season, as they face MK Dons at Stadium: MK on Saturday.