Anthony Stewart was sent-off as Wycombe lost 1-0 away at MK Dons thanks to a Troy Parrott penalty. 

The Chairboys started off the better side and nearly went ahead in the first few moments, but Sam Vokes, who hasn’t scored in over a month, couldn’t beat Andrew Fisher from close range.

Wycombe continued to dominate possession as the home side couldn’t get near Gareth Ainsworth’s men, and with Garath McCleary beaming with confidence following his two goals last week against Charlton, he and Daryl Horgan pulled the strings in the midfield, with the Irish international clipping the bar from 20-yards after 10 minutes.

READ MORE: As it happened: MK Dons 2-0 Wycombe Wanderers

This was the best it got for Wanderers as the game became a midfield battle, with Josh Scowen and Curtis Thompson getting tight to Parrott, Scott Twine, and Hiram Boateng to deny any MK attacks.

In fact, it wasn’t until the 28th minute when the hosts had their first real chance for the game, but Twine’s long-range effort was easily gathered by David Stockdale.

Then, in the last 15 minutes of the first-half, the game kicked into life.

Dean Lewington was penalised for a foul on Scowen after 32 minutes, and from the resulting free-kick, Joe Jacobson’s cross was nodded in by Ryan Tafazolli from six-yards.

It should have been his first of the season and his first since March.

However, a good few seconds after the header had been scored, the flag went up and after the referee, Dean Treleaven, consulted with the linesman, the goal was eventually ruled out for offside.

A real kick in the teeth for Wycombe who had been the better side.

Then, against the run of play, MK Dons were given a golden opportunity to take the lead.

On 40 minutes, Lewington’s ball over the top to Parrott was missed by Stewart, and after getting onto the wrong side of the man who is on loan from Tottenham, the centre-back fouled the attacker in the Wycombe box.

READ MORE: MK Dons vs Wycombe Wanderers preview

Treleaven had no choice but to give MK a penalty and send the defender off, and there was Parrott to slot the spot-kick down the middle.

Dons went into the break 1-0 up.

The second-half was a one-sided show as Liam Manning’s men made use of the man advantage.

Stockdale denied Matt O’Riley and Parrott in the opening stages of the second half, before Daniel Harvie cracked one over from 25-yards on 60 minutes.

The introduction of Adebayo Akinfewa, Brandon Hanlan and David Wheeler in the latter stages of the second period nearly saw Wanderers get an equaliser, as they hustled and bustled the Dons backline, but nothing too testing for Fisher in the MK goal.

Jack Grimmer nearly equalised but his half-volley on 85 minutes went over, and Tafazolli's header missed the target on 89, but Parrott’s third goal of the season succumbed Wycombe to their second league loss of the season.  

Wanderers are now sixth and up next for the Chairboys is an away trip to Shrewsbury on Tuesday night.