Wycombe Wanderers are in the top two of League One after they defeated Gillingham 2-0 at Adams Park.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men were quick out of the traps as Garath McCleary tested Jamie Cumming inside the first 20 seconds, but his bending effort from 20-yards was easily saved by the visiting keeper.

Moments later, Gillingham registered their first effort of the game when Kyle Dempsey forced David Stockdale into a save, before Steve Evans’ men caved under some brilliant Wanderers play.

With 90 seconds on the clock, McCleary smashed in his fifth goal of the season to give the home side the lead.

He managed to elude two defenders before getting the ball out of his feet, where he then unleashed a fierce drive that flew past Cumming to put Wanderers one up.

It’s his fifth goal in 10 league matches this season, meaning he has already beaten his tally of last year, where he got four goals.

It was an electrifying start, and it only got better for Wycombe in the opening stages of the first-half.

After Jordan Obita fired wide moments later, Wanderers got their second through a player that Gillingham fans will know a lot about.

Brandon Hanlan, who spent two seasons with the Gills between 2018 and 2020, made it 2-0 after seven minutes.

McCleary was at the heart of the goal, as he managed to get around two defenders and laid it off to Curtis Thompson.

The midfielder gave himself a couple of touches before having a shot from just outside of the box that took a huge deflection.

The ball ricocheted into Hanlan’s path who slotted it past Cumming and inside 10 minutes, Wanderers were cruising.

It's his third of the season and his first in the league for his new club.

That’s also two goals in two games for the former Bristol Rovers man.

Wycombe continued to dominate as McCleary again tried his luck, before the away side were given a lifeline as they were awarded a penalty on 26 minutes.

Josh Scowen was penalised for fouling Kyle Dempsey in the area, and up-stepped Vadaine Oliver, but he smashed his spot-kick over.

Despite this chance being squandered, Gillingham continued to attack as Stockdale did brilliantly to deny Danny Lloyd on two occasions, before he clawed out Alex MacDonald’s low drive moments before half-time.

The second-half started with Gillingham having more of the ball but Wycombe having the chances.

Jacobson saw his free-kick go over from 25-yards about 10 minutes into the second period, before Sam Vokes and Thompson both forced Cumming into two brilliant saves.

The first was from a header by Vokes which Cumming tipped over the bar, before Thompson tried his luck from range, but the goalkeeper again was there to deny Wanderers going further ahead near the hour mark.

Hanlan could have wrapped up the win by getting a second against his former side, but his effort from 15-yards was deflected onto the post.

However, it remained 2-0 as Wanderers registered their first victory over the Gills since the 2012/13 season.  

The win also means Wanderers are now unbeaten in seven consecutive home league matches at Adams Park, a run that dates back to April, when they lost 3-1 to Luton.

Up next for Gareth Ainsworth’s men is a trip to bottom of the table Doncaster Rovers next Saturday.