Wycombe Wanderers will face Hartlepool United in a replay after they drew 2-2 away at Hartlepool United in the first round of the FA Cup.

The Adams Park outfit, who twice fell behind, avoided defeat thanks to goals from Chris Forino and a Joe Jacobson penalty, but, another fixture on top of their league commitments would have been the last thing Wycombe wanted.

The first-half saw Gareth Ainsworth’s men dominate possession but the homeside have the chances, as the League Two outfit peppered Adam Przybek in the Wanderers goal.

Luke Molyneux had the first shot of the match but his effort from just inside the penalty area was saved, before Sam Vokes headed wide seconds later from point-blank range.

That was the best it got for Wycombe as Hartlepool started to control the cup tie.

Molyneux again tried his luck but his bending effort from 25-yards after 22 minutes went just wide, before a lob from Mark Cullen five minutes later hit the top of the net.

Wycombe just couldn’t get into the contest with Daryl Horgan and Sullay Kaikai failing to pull the strings for Sam Vokes up top.

And Wycombe’s inability to produce in the final third on top of Hartlepool’s positive forward play eventually saw the home side take the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Maty Daly got himself away from several Wanderers players with some brilliant skill and individualism just outside the penalty area.

This carved open the Chairboys back line and after finding Cullen with a through ball, the strike composed himself and placed it past Przybek to give Hartlepool a deserved lead.

The goal was the striker’s fourth in his last five games.

Hartlepool taking the lead was a huge wake up call for Wanderers, as they improved in the second half.

Vokes’ shot from close range was deflected wide and a Daryl Horgan half-volley was easily gathered by Jonathan Mitchell.

However, the North East side should have sealed the win on 52 minutes, but Molyneux, who was found by Reegan Ogle, astonishingly placed the ball wide after having the freedom of the Wycombe penalty box.

Three ends of Victoria Park were left speechless as it looked to be a certain goal.

This gave Wanderers a chance to get themselves back into the tie and on 62 minutes, they got themselves level through an unlikely source.

Chris Forino, whose only game of the season so far was in the 3-1 home loss to the Aston Villa U21s in August, headed in a Curtis Thompson cross to make it 1-1.

However, Hartlepool regained the lead just three minutes later through Molyneux.

The striker was found by Daly and all he had to do was put the ball over Przybek to score his fourth of the campaign.

But Wycombe again found an equaliser with 17 minutes left.

Forino was clattered in the box by Pools keeper Mitchel,l and up stepped Joe Jacobson to score his second of the campaign.

Horgan nearly won it at the death but his long range shot was saved by Mitchell, which means a replay at Adams Park will take place in 10 days time.