Wycombe Wanderers have moved to the top of the League One table following a 2-0 win over Oxford United in the Thames Valley derby.

Strikes from Curtis Thompson and Brandon Hanlan secured the Chairboys’ first league win over the Yellows at Adams Park since December 2015, in a game that was overshadowed by alleged homophobia and crowd disturbances.

In the first meeting between these two sides at Adams Park in three-and-a-bit-years, Wanderers started off the strong with Hanlan having the game’s first attempt on goal.

READ MORE: Live updates at Adams Park: Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 Oxford United

However, whilst he struck his first-time volley from 12-yards incredibly weak, his shot flew over Simon Eastwood’s goal after four minutes.

Both sides enjoyed possession and caught each-other out on the counter-attack, with Anis Mehmeti and Garath McCleary causing problems for Ox’s, whilst Ryan Williams caused the Chairboys many headaches.

And it was Oxford’s number seven who played a big part in United’s most dominate spell of the first-half, which could have seen them go in front.

On 20 minutes, Josh Scowen was dispossessed by Williams who ran towards the Wanderers goal.

After evading two more Wycombe players, Williams ran into the box and after making David Stockdale commit himself, all he had to do was square it to the on rushing Nathan Holland, who had the whole goal gaping from 12-yards.

Williams saw the run, laid of Holland and the latter fired a thunderbolt at goal, but, thanks to a brilliant piece of defending by Anthony Stewart, the centre-back threw himself at the ball and managed to block the attempt off the line.

READ MORE: Is Wycombe Wanderers vs Oxford United a derby? We looked into the fixture's history

Moments later, Holland again tried his luck but Stockdale was on hand to deny him on both occasions.

Then, after Karl Robinson’s men seemed to have a foot in the game, Wycombe went up the other end and scored a beauty.

Two minutes after the players, fans and everyone in attendance paid their respects to the late and popular Wanderers fan in Alana Hurford, who sadly passed away aged 29 on New Year’s Eve, Curtis Thompson thumped home a brilliant volley from a McCleary corner that was flicked on by Jordan Obita.

It was his second of the season and Wanderers went into the break a goal up in the Thames Valley derby.

The goal sparked some life into Wycombe as they started the second half strongly, and on 58 minutes, they scored their second of the match through Hanlan.

The Oxford defence was cut apart after McCleary found the striker with so much space, all Hanlan had to do was slot it past Eastwood, which he did as his effort went through the keeper’s legs and Wanderers’ lead was doubled.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth on formation changes, learning lessons and Grimmer's goal as Wycombe beat Bolton

It was his seventh of the season and his second in two games.

Oxford responded as Stockdale forced a save from a Sam Winnall attempt near the hour mark, James Henry, Matty Taylor and Steve Seddon all went close, but the points belonged to Wycombe.

However, the Chairboys’ first league win over Oxford in seven seasons was marred to alleged homophobic abuse from the away end, a spectator running on the pitch, and crowd disturbances.

After Wanderers’ first goal which saw McCleary celebrate in front of the Oxford army, several fans tried jumping the hoardings to confront the Jamaican winger.

READ MORE: 'They’re a very good team' - Bolton boss Ian Evatt praises Wycombe ahead of midweek clash

In the aftermath of Hanlan’s strike, comments were made towards Tjay De Barr, David Wheeler and Ali Al-Hamadi, with the latter alerting the stewards of the away side’s behaviour.

Unsavoury moments in what was a very good game of football.