Wycombe Wanderers and Cheltenham Town shared the points in an incredible 5-5 draw at Adams Park. 

The contest couldn’t have had a worse start for the Chairboys as they went 1-0 down inside the first three minutes.

Some terrible defending at the back from Joe Jacobson, Chris Forino and David Stockdale allowed Alfie May to score his fifth league goal in four matches, after he lobbed the stranded keeper who was off his line.

It nearly got worse for the homeside as Cheltenham were very close to doubling their lead.

More chaotic defending saw as a wayward pass from Stockdale gave May the ball in a dangerous position, but the in-form striker could only fire his snapshot at the former Fulham shot-stopper.

Wanderers needed to wake up as a fifth league game without a win looked likely following a very lacklustre first-half.

But on 26 minutes, the tied turned and the floodgates opened.

After only scoring one goal from 59 attempts in their last two games respectively against Shrewsbury Town and Lincoln City, Wycombe finally got their shooting boots on and bagged three strikes in eight minutes.

Following some good pattern play from Daryl Horgan and Jordan Obita, the latter whipped in a cross that evaded everyone in the Cheltenham box, before finding its way into the goal.

Sam Vokes did claim the strike as it looked like it did skim off his head, but the goal was credited to the former Reading and Oxford man.

It was Obita's first goal at Adams Park for the club.

And just like that, after not scoring in his 24 previous matches at the Hillbottom Road stadium, Obita was on hand to get his second of the contest.

Sullay Kaikai, who was making his first league start since the 1-0 win over Bolton in November, did brilliantly to weave into the box and laid it off to Obita, who couldn’t miss from close range.

That’s three goals for the season now for the left-wing back.

The heavens opened on the same weekend as Storm Eunice’s arrival, as Brandon Hanlan got onto the scoresheet moments later.

This trickery and quick feet allowed him to be one-on-one with Evans, and he slotted it past the keeper with ease to give Wycombe their two-goal lead.

This strike was his sixth of the league season and his seventh overall.

And if we thought the first half was entertaining, the second half was a different beast.

Town pulled a goal back just seven minutes after the restart with a close-range header by May, before Stockdale pushed away his long range effort moments later.

Cheltenham continued to push on and eventually got their equaliser on 66 minutes thanks to a brilliant half-volley from Kion Etete from 25-yards.

This meant it was the third straight meet between the two sides at Adams Park which saw a 3-3 scoreline.

But it didn’t stay all level for long as just three minutes later, Vokes scored his ninth of the campaign with a well-taken tap-in from an Obita cross.

Incredibly, he doubled his tally for the match just 17 seconds later.

This gave Wanderers some breathing space but not even a minute after going 5-3 down, May claimed his hat-trick to make it 5-4.

It was astonishing.

But the goals weren’t finished then as May bagged his fourth, Town’s fifth, with 10 minutes left which is how it finished. 

Despite the ding-dong battle, Wycombe are now winless in five as they drop to sixth.

Up next for Wanderers is Wigan Athletic on Tuesday night.