Wycombe Wanderers will take a 2-0 lead into the second leg of the League One play-off semi-finals, as they defeated Milton Keynes at a rocking Adams Park.

In what was a slow half, the Chairboys had the first chance of the opening period but Sam Vokes’ volley was scuffed into the arms of Jamie Cumming.

Seconds later, David Kasumu’s cross for MK wasn’t met by Scott Twine and Wanderers were able to get the ball away.

READ MORE: Live at Adams Park: Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 Milton Keynes: Tafazolli and Vokes with the goals

The match was end-to-end in bursts as both sides didn’t want to commit, however, Wycombe and MK knew that something would need to give in this first-ever play-off match between the two sides.

On 15 minutes, Troy Parrott, who scored the winner for MK against Wanderers in September in a 1-0 win at Stadium: MK, saw his bending shot from inside the box go just wide of David Stockdale’s goal.

Things became a midfield battle for large parts of the first-half as Scott Twine tamely tested Stockdale with a free-kickm before Anthony Stewart and Vokes both again went close with headers moments later.

The tide had turned as Wanderers were now in the ascendancy, and with five minutes to go to half-time, Adams Park erupted.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth compares Wycombe's play-off preparation from 2020 to now 

A Joe Jacobson corner was powered in by Ryan Tafazolli in front of the traveling MK fans, which caused a see of blue to wave across the south Buckinghamshire stadium.

The header was his fifth of the season and his first since October.

The goal was also Wycombe’s first against MK in a league/play-off match since August 2019, ending an unwanted run of four straight league fixtures without a goal.

The second half started similar as the first with MK having the ball, but Wanderers got in the away side’s faces, and nearly doubled their lead on 50 minutes, but Jordan Obita’s shot went straight down Cumming’s throat.

The match turned into a game of chess as Wycombe and MK remained rigid, denying any chance of each other going forward, with the best form of attacks being down the wings.

However, with that being said, Milton Keynes nearly equalised midway through the second period as a Twine free-kick from 35-yards just went over Stockdale’s goal.

MK hustled and bustled but Wanderers were not letting the visitors get into the final third, with the match now becoming a midfield battle.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth praises Milton Keynes' play and reveals he 'can't wait' for the play-offs

This resulted in the away side making their play-off challenge even more tricky, as Josh McEachran was shown a second yellow card on 70 minutes.

The ex-Chelsea man went in hard on Josh Scowen, and he was given his marching orders.

Wycombe nearly wrapped up the first leg as Jason McCarthy smashed the crossbar with 15 minutes to go.

Then, with 10 minutes left, Vokes finally scored with a header from a Garath McCleary cross to make it 2-0 which was his 17th of the season.

READ MORE: 'It’s a different competition' - Gareth Ainsworth on the play-offs, injuries and Wycombe's 'new era'

The win is Wycombe’s second-ever victory over MK at Adams Park.

Advantage Wanderers going into the second leg on Sunday at Stadium: MK.