Wanderers 5 Chelsea 1.

SUBSTITUTE Jon-Paul Pittman scored a four-minute hat-trick as Blues ran riot against a Chelsea XI.

The supersub came on on 74 minutes and scored on 75, 76 and 78 minutes as Blues embarrassed Chelsea's emerging side.

Strikers Ben Strevens and Scott Rendell had already scored first half goals to put Blues in front before Pittman upstaged everyone on the pitch.

Chelsea didn't have any of their star names out but what they lacked in autograph-book appeal they made up for in energy, enthusiasm and technique.

And they still had three players on show with Premiership experience in the form of Jack Cork who was on loan at Burnely, Franco Di Santo, who was at Blackburn and Scott Sinclair who served Birmingham and Wigan.

For any side to stick five goals past them is a major achievement and it was no fluke, with Blues hitting the woodwork three times as well.

The rampant Blues served notice of their intent when they came closest to opening the scoring inside the first ten minutes when Lewis Montrose jabbed a shot on the turn over the bar.

It looked like being the worst thing Blues could do.

It stung Chelsea into action.

Within seconds Milan Lalkovic extended Blues keeper Nikki Bull with a curling shot that the glovesman did well to push out.

Then minutes later Bull did well to push out Sinclair's bending shot but, this time, he wasn't so fortunate as Aliu Djalo turned in the rebound for a 13th minute opening goal.

Blues should have been level ten minutes later though.

New striker Rendell surprisingly spurned the chance to shoot himself after turning two defenders on the box and teed up partner Strevens instead.

Strevens measured his shot but saw it rebound off the base of the post.

While the crowd were still debating whether Rendell had the killer instinct in front of goal, he immediately showed that he does.

Kevin Betsy made the most of a mistake in the Chelsea rearguard and before you could blink Rendell had slammed it into the roof of the net.

It was just the kind of finish that persuaded cash-strapped Blues to part with an undisclosed fee to sign the former Peterborough hitman.

Blues now had a foothold in the game and Strevens hit the post for the second time in the first half when he saw his header smack against the woodwork.

But the summer signing from Brentford wasn't to be denied. After seeing the mesmeric Sinclair spurn two good chances for Chelsea, he displayed some fancy footwork of his own on the goalline before lifting the ball into the Chelsea net from a tight angle to put Blues in front after 36 minutes.

Wanderers' ability to create chances against their high class opponents was encouraging and with silky Chelsea also doing the same at the other end it was entertainment all the way.

It made for a tough night for Blues' new full back partnership which saw Chris Westwood and Danny Foster taking the wide defensive berths with the former on the right hand and normal right back Foster switching to the other side as Blues seek out a makeshift left back as cover for Andy Sandell who looks likely to miss the first couple of games with a groin strain.

Wycombe were demonstrating an attack first policy though and they might even have finished the half with a bigger lead but Chelsea keeper Samuel Walker managed to hold on to Kieran Murtagh's skidder.

Wanderers began the second half in style as well and Gareth Ainsworth almost deveived the visiting keeper with a cheeky chip.

However at the other end Blues needed an Alan Bennett clearance off the line to prevent Daniel Philliskirk drawing the Stamford Bridge boys level.

Wycombe still didn't go into their shell though and the action soon returned to the other end where Montrose saw his low shot deflected onto the Chelsea post.

Then came the moment many Blues fans had come to see as returning England hero Matt Phillips came on for Rendell.

Phillips has spent the summer rubbing shoulders with Premiership youngsters while on international duty and now he was given thirty minutes to show what he could do against them.

But he would have to do it from an unorthodox position, operating down the middle as a striker with Betsy and Ainsworth occupying his favoured wide slots.

That was the first of a few changes from boss Gary Waddock with Strevens going off shortly afterwards to be replaced by Pittman and and then new recruit Marvin McCoy replacing Chris Westwood.

And Pittman was straight into the game, taking just one minute to get on the scoresheet with a cool one-on-one finish after being set up by Betsy's slide rule pass.

Phillips was keen to get in on the act as well and moments later he scampered down the line before teeing up Pittman for Blues' fourth and the striker's quick-fire second.

Buut Pittman wasn't done yet and he completed a speedy treble with an exquisite lob on 78 minutes to claim the matchball and all the headlines on a night when every Wanderer performed.

The 5-1 scoreline was an embarrassment to Chelsea but Blues did need two spendid saves from keeper Bull to keep the staggering scoreline on the board.

Waddock took the glovesman off soon afterwards to allow him to milk the appluase and give Steve Arnold the last eight minutes between the sticks.

Phillips curled a late one just wide and Wanderers left to a standing ovation.

If this doesn't get bums on seats next Saturday Wanderers' directors will be wondering what will.