BARNET defender Sally Wade was back at work at Wycombe Hospital hours after settling the Women’s League Cup final at Adams Park.

She converted the decisive penalty in the shoot-out as the Bees overcame Nottingham Forest 3-2 after a goalless game.

Cardiac physiologist Wade ensured her side won their first trophy since 1996 with the penalty triumph at the ground in the town where she works.

Barnet deserved the trophy as they created the better chances throughout the game despite having striker Stacey Sowden sent off for lashing out at an opponent.

An ecstatic Wade said: “We had to dig in after having a player sent off but we believed the whole time, we believed the whole campaign, and I’m just over the moon.

“I put myself up for the penalty. I wanted to do it for the girls. It was such a relief and it’s amazing to win a big trophy. It’s been a long time since I won a trophy.”

Most of the 1,281 crowd at Adams Park were supporting underdogs Barnet, who are bottom of the eight-team Women’s Premier League and were up against the side second in the table.

Some of Wade’s colleagues at Wycombe Hospital came along to support her and her team-mates.

She said: “It was nice to have all that support, we appreciate that they all came down.”

But she wasn’t celebrating long into the night, as she was picking up her stethoscope at work the next day.

Wade said: “We’ll probably have a few drinks tonight but it’s back to work tomorrow.”

Chances were few and far between during the game but Barnet almost won it at the death when Abbie Prosser’s shot just curled away from the far post at the last moment, but with that missed chance came the final whistle and those dreaded penalties.

Natalie Clarke missed Forest’s second penalty after hitting the post but it didn’t matter as Barnet captain Danielle Murphy blazed over the bar to keep the scores tied at 1-1.

The fourth Forest kick from Catherine Lawson was saved by Barnet keeper Cherie Rowlands, who couldn’t keep out the previous spot-kick despite getting two hands to it, and Jess Trimnell converted to make it advantage Barnet.

Forest goalkeeper Claire Wallhead took her side’s final kick against her opposite number and thumped it down the middle.

That then left Wade to take the decisive penalty – and she made no mistake, stroking it into the bottom corner.