Wycombe Wanderers produced a highly polished performance to see off non-league opposition as they beat National League side Solihull Moors 2-0 at a chilly Damson Park in the first round of the FA Cup.

Wanderers took the lead on 16 minutes in bizarre circumstance through Nick Freeman, bouncing in off the winger with the ball ricocheting around the Solihull area.

They increased their lead on 28 minutes as Joe Jacobson's wonderful corner found Anthony Stewart who crashed a header against the bar. Adebayo Akinfenwa followed up but he also hit the bar before Craig Mackail-Smith tapped in the rebound.

Solihull, who were outplayed in the first half, had two excellent chances to make a game of it in the second half. Oladapo Afolayan's deflected shot was tipped over brilliantly by Scott Brown.

Jermaine Hylton then saw his shot on 78 minutes saved at point-blank range by the Wycombe keeper after good work from the lively Afolayan.

Solihull had the first opportunity on two minutes when Hylton wriggled his way into the box but was foiled by a smart save from Brown.

Wycombe did look fairly comfortable in possession with an experienced midfield of Sam Saunders, Matt Bloomfield and Marcus Bean to the fore.

Wanderers were growing into the game and they took the lead with a good slice of fortune, a goal which seemed to knock the wind out of Solihull.

The Chairboys looked very solid and in control of the game, with crosses into the box being well dealt with by the Moors backline.

Akinfenwa almost doubled Wycombe's lead after 25 minutes when he volleyed superbly towards goal from Dominic Gape's cross but Charlie Bannister pulled off a magnificent save.

However, moments later, Mackail-Smith doubled the lead before the Blues had a flurry of chances to kill the game off before the break.

Mackail-Smith had a half chance on 36 minute when he brought the ball down expertly 18 yards out but curled his left footed shot well wide.

Stewart tried his luck a minute later from the edge of the box but his low, fizzing effort was parried away by Bannister.

The Blues were well on top and Mackail-Smith burst into the area three minutes before the break but his strike was comfortably held by Bannister.

The home side came out with renewed vigour in the second half and Ashley Sammons just failed to meet Kristian Green's dangerous cross on 48 minutes.

Although Solihull had stepped up their performance level from the first half, Wanderers were still looking extremely comfortable.

Moors had their best opportunity on 65 minutes when Afolayan got into the area but Brown came to Wycombe's rescue with a tremendous stop.

The Chairboys came close to killing off the tie with 20 minutes when Jacobson's free kick almost eluded everyone but Bannister held on well.

Marcus Bean came close to breaking his Wycombe duck for the Blues after good work by Paris Cowan-Hall but his shot went agonisingly wide on 76 minutes.

Hylton then had his golden chance to bring Solihull back into it but he couldn't find the net with Wanderers then seeing the game out with relative ease.

Akinfenwa had a sniff on 87 minutes to wrap the game up from Cowan-Hall's good play but his effort went just off target.

Gareth Ainsworth will be hoping his side can now emulate last season's heroics and produce another FA Cup run to live long in the memory.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Gape, Scarr, Stewart (sub: El-Abd, 74), Jacobson, Bean, Bloomfield, Saunders, Freeman (sub: Cowan-Hall, 67), Akinfenwa, Mackail-Smith (sub: Southwell, 90). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, De Havilland, Jombati, O'Nien.

SOLIHULL MOORS: Bannister, K Green, Carter. Murombedzi, Sammons (sub: Camwell, 55), Hylton, Afolayan (sub: Carline, 85), P Green, St Ledger, Daly, Asante. Subs: Kettle, Liburd, Coyle, Acton, Kelleher.

REFEREE: Brett Huxtable