Wycombe Wanderers' wobbles continued as they suffered a 2-1 loss to struggling Morecambe in their League Two encounter at a chilly Globe Arena.

Wycombe paid the price for a poor first half as Morecambe led 2-0 at the break thanks to goals from Steve Old and Adam McGurk.

Old broke the deadlock on 27 minutes when he met Aaron McGowan's raking cross with a buller header that gave Scott Brown no chance.

McGurk doubled the lead two minutes before the break when he lashed home from the edge of the box as the Blues failed to clear their lines.

Wycombe were much improved after the break and dominated the second period. Adebayo Akinfenwa gave the Chairboys a lifeline with eight minutes to go when he buried a header past the excellent Barry Roche from Paris Cowan-Hall's excellent cross.

Wanderers had the first chance after just 20 seconds when Ebere Eze let fly from 20 yards but Roche held it comfortably.

The bright start continued when Nick Freeman wriggled into the box and his fierce strike was parried away smartly by Roche.

Morecambe came back strongly with some lungbursting attacks of their own and Aaron Wildig had a good chance on six minutes but scuffed his effort over after an intelligent knock-down from Kevin Ellison.

McGurk almost scored a goal of the season contender for the home side after 15 minutes when he spotted Scott Brown off his line and his effort from 35 yards went inches over with Brown struggling.

The visitors were probably the better side on the whole, playing some incisive football in the final third but failing to get that opening goal inside the first 20 minutes.

However, Morecambe took the lead and the goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of Wycombe as the game fizzled out slightly.

Jim Bentley’s men had the next opportunity when McGurk was found in the penalty area but his volley went high and wide.

The home side extended their advantage two minutes before the break thanks to McGurk but the Chairboys came out in the second half with renewed vigour with Morecambe remaining resolute.

Akinfenwa had a sniff of a chance on 53 minutes when he met Brown’s long kick but his flick header was off target.

The Blues were certainly in the ascendency but the Shrimpers were defending for their lives, with the game becoming more scrappy.

Wildig had a penalty shout waved away on 58 minutes as he turned Dominic Gape and drove into the area but referee Andy Haines dismissed the shouts.

Akinfenwa almost got one back for Wanderers on 63 minutes when he turned expertly and shot after an excellent run by Anthony Stewart but his effort was well saved by Roche.

Wycombe were edging closer and Sam Saunders smashed an effort from 25 yards two minutes later which was superbly tipped away by Roche.

Bean then had a chance hacked off the line as Gareth Ainsworth’s men continued to threaten.

Akinfenwa gave Wycombe hope with his 10th of the season. Moments later, he headed agonisingly wide with Roche beaten all ends up.

Mackail-Smith also came close but this defeat leaves Wycombe without a win in five league games, as they remain in the last of the playoff places.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Gape (sub: Cowan-Hall, 67), Scarr, Stewart, Jacobson, Bean, Saunders (sub: O’Nien, 67), Eze, Freeman, Akinfenwa, Mackail-Smith. Subs: Ma-Kalambay, El-Abd, Bloomfield, Southwell, Jombati.

MORECAMBE: Roche, McGowan, Old, Lavelle, Brough, Thompson, Fleming, Kenyon, Ellison, Wildig, McGurk. Subs: Nizic, Oliver, Campbell, Lund, Osborne, Rose, Lang.

REFEREE: Andy Haines