Wycombe Wanderers scraped through to the third round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 victory to see of the brave challenge of Leatherhead at Adams Park.

Sam Saunders, Craig Mackail-Smith and Adebayo Akinfenwa grabbed the goals which saw Wanderers come from behind to record a priceless win.

Incredibly, Jack Midson had given the visitors the lead after eight minutes from the penalty spot after referee Tim Robinson harshly adjudged that Sido Jombati pulled Lee Minshull's shirt with no protestations at all.

Fortunately, Saunders equalised with a world-class free kick on 28 minutes from 30 yards which gave Leatherhead keeper Zaki Oualah no chance.

Mackail-Smith then scored the second with 15 minutes to go, poking home from six yards after magical work by Akinfenwa, who spun his man and fired a rocket which was magnificently saved by Oualah into the path of Mackail-Smith, who stabbed home.

Akinfenwa then sealed the deal at the death, heading home an absolute bullet from Matt Bloomfield's sublime cross.

Luke O’Nien had the first chance of the game for Wycombe on three minutes when he met Joe Jacobson’s raking corner on the volley but the ball pinballed in the area and was eventually cleared.

Incredibly, though, Leatherhead took the lead on eight minutes after in controversial circumstances and the goal sparked the visitors into life and a minute later, Scott Brown made a fine save to deny Sean Clohessy from 12 yards.

Yiannis Ambroisine then smashed the crossbar with a thumping header on 10 minutes as Wanderers were reeling from that early penalty.

Mackail-Smith had a crack from 20 yards on 15 minutes, his effort whistling just past the left-hand post after good work by Akinfenwa.

Akinfenwa came close with a header seven minutes later when he met Mackail-Smith’s fine cross well but his effort was just a bit too high.

Leatherhead were still causing severe problems and Midson’s volley on seconds later was superbly palmed away by Brown after some trickery from Niall McManus.

Wycombe Wanderers then got the equaliser they craved thanks to Saunders and the goal buoyed the Blues with Dayle Southwell coming close 60 seconds later but he was denied by a good save by Oualah from 12 yards.

Thg game was being fragmented by, at times, so over-zealous refereeing by Robinson and Midson was playing the part of pantomime villain with his playing style.

Once again, the game started at a furious tempo in the second half with both teams going for it.

Saunders had an effort on 47 minutes from the edge of the box well held by Oualah before Leatherhead’s Sammy Moore let fly from 25 yards but his effort went wide with Brown covering it.

Southwell went for goal on 50 minutes as he met Mackail-Smith’s volley 15 yards out but his drilled effort was well held by the Leatherhead custodian.

Wanderers had another chance for a free kick three minutes later and Saunders had another go from 25 yards but Oualah just about held on with Wycombe players bearing down on him.

The Chairboys had a good spell of pressure around the hour mark and Luke O’Nien came close with a volley from 12 yards which flew just over after a decent cross from Anthony Stewart.

Wycombe started to turn up the heat and Mackail-Smith saw a shot deflected into the side netting. From the resulting corner, Jacobson found O’Nien, who headed straight at Oualah, who just about clung on.

Leatherhead still posed a threat from set-pieces and Lee Minshull had a great opportunity from eight yards but headed over with the goal gaping.

Bloomfield almost gave Wycombe the lead on 72 minutes after a sublime move involving Akinfenwa and Nick Freeman but he was denied by a last-ditch challenge by Ambroisine.

Leatherhead were now being put under maximum pressure and Saunders saw his shot with 17 minutes deflected agonisingly wide with Oualah beaten.

The pressure then told for Wycombe as Mackail-Smith guided the ball home before Moore was sent off for a second booking for an off-the-ball incident.

Akinfenwa almost made the game safe when he headed inches wide on 86 minutes before heading home a cannonball with the last chance.

So Ainsworth's men have another potential chance to meet one of the biggest teams in the country in the third round.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Jombati, Stewart, El-Abd, Jacobson, O’Nien, Bloomfield, Saunders (sub: Scarr, 84), Southwell (sub: Freeman 62), Akinfenwa, Mackail-Smith. Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Bean, De Havilland, Williams.

LEATHERHEAD: Oualah, Clohessy, Nnamani, Ambroisine, Richards, Minshull, Moore, Theobald (sub: Gallaghere, 70). Midson, McManus (sub: Omofe, 85). Subs: Blonski, Wood, Seager, Cash.

REFEREE: Tim Robinson