Substitute Craig Mackail-Smith grabbed an incredible winner for Wycombe Wanderers late on to win a dramatic game 3-2 against Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road.

Mackail-Smith seized on a poor defensive header by Michael Raynes to poke the ball past Ben Garratt in injury time.

Harry McKirdy thought he had got Crewe a point on 87 minutes after Scott Brown beat out Ryan Wintle's long-range effort straight into the path of the Aston Villa loanee who made no mistake.

Substitute Nathan Tyson thought he scored the winner on 83 minutes when he tapped home from a yard after magnificent work by Adebayo Akinfenwa set up the chance.

The excellent Paris Cowan-Hall got the equaliser when he smashed home Akinfenwa's brilliant header on the hour past Ben Garratt.

Crewe went ahead on five minutes when Nathan McKinley tripped Charlie Kirk in the area and Chris Porter slammed home the penalty.

Wanderers started the game quickly and Dominic Gape had a half-chance on the edge of the box after two minutes but his deflected effort was comfortably held by Garratt.

Cowan-Hall had an opportunity a minute later when he met Akinfenwa’s flick-on but his volley was held easily.

However, Crewe went ahead thanks to Porter's spot-kick but the Chairboys looked for a quick response, Gape tried his luck from long distance on eight minutes but his volley flew over the bar.

Cowan-Hall almost slammed home a glorious equaliser on 17 minutes when he walloped a shot from 20 yards just wide of Garratt’s far post.

Wycombe continued to probe away but the final ball was lacking at times.

Luke O’Nien had a golden chance to get that elusive equaliser on 23 minutes when some excellent play down the right found the midfielder in the box but his instinctive effort from eight yards whistled over.

Crewe had a fantastic opportunity on 27 minutes when Porter somehow miscued his shot four yards out just after Scott Brown made an good save to deny Michael Raynes.

A minute later, the lively Cowan-Hall saw his shot deflect agonisingly wide with Garratt beaten.

The visitors were definitely the better side and Akinfenwa brilliantly turned Brad Walker before unleashing a volley from 20 yards just wide of the target.

The Chairboys came out of the traps very quickly in the second half with Akinfenwa to the fore.

Gape’s low cross on 50 minutes caused problems for the Crewe backline but Walker scrambled it away.

The dangerous Cowan-Hall had an effort on 55 minutes after cutting in from the left but the strike went a few yards wide.

And Cowan-Hall got the equaliser the Blues deserved on the hour when he smashed home Akinfenwa’s brilliant header past Garratt.

The home side had a wonderful chance to regain the lead on 68 minutes when a deep cross found Kirk who stabbed his effort over from 10 yards.

Wanderers had a huge shout for a penalty when Gape looked like he was shoved over by the referee waved away the protests.

Gareth Ainsworth made a double substitution bringing on Tyson and Mackail-Smith and the move paid dividends with Tyson tapping home his fourth of the season.

McKirdy then thought he may have salvaged a draw for the Railwaymen before Mackail-Smith had the final say sparking wild celebrations.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Moore, Scarr, McGinley, Jacobson, Bean, Gape (sub: Kashket, 81), O’Nien, Bloomfield (sub: Mackail-Smith, 65), Akinfenwa, Cowan-Hall (sub: Tyson, 65). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Freeman, Williams.

CREWE ALEXANDRA: Garratt, Bakayogo, Walker, Raynes, Porter (sub: Bowery, 33), Nolan, Ainley, Wintle, Kirk (sub: Barlaser, 79), Reilly (sub: McKirdy, 66), Green. Subs: Richards, Ray, Lowery, Pickering.

REFEREE: Martin Coy

ATTENDANCE: 3,645 (Wycombe 325)