Adebayo Akinfenwa was the matchwinner for Wycombe Wanderers as they produced late fireworks again as they beat promotion rivals Swindon Town 3-2 after a breathless game at Adams Park.

Akinfenwa thumped home his 15th goal of the season on 89 minutes after meeting Dominic Gape's exquisite cross with a textbook header.

The game saw an incredible start with three goals in 10 minutes before the visitors equalised in the second half for a share of the spoils.

Swindon made the perfect start to the game after just 67 seconds when Marc Richards tapped home from a yard after Scott Brown made a fantastic save to deny Luke Norris’ header from Kyle Knoyle’s cross.

However, Luke O’Nien scored a thunderbolt from 20 yards to equalise just three minutes later after superb hold-up play from Adebayo Akinfenwa.

On 10 minutes, Craig Mackail-Smith gave the Blues the lead with his 10th of the season when he bundled the ball home after terrific work from Paris Cowan-Hall.

The Robins responded with a rocket on 61 minutes from Matty Taylor, who unleashed a screamer from 35 yards which gave Brown no chance.

After that incredible opening 10 minutes, both sides went for the jugular with chances aplenty for both sides.

David Flitcroft’s side were getting some joy down the right through the dangerous Knoyle but Wanderers, led by Scarr, were defending the crosses well.

At the other end, Akinfenwa was posing some real problems and his flick on 28 minutes set Mackail-Smith away but his fierce strike from a tight angle was well held by Charles-Cook.

Mackail-Smith was thwarted again on 35 minutes by a fine block from Charles-Cook after a fantastic header across goal by Akinfenwa.

The big man had a chance himself seconds later when he made a high ball his but his firm effort was saved expertly by Charles-Cook.

Keshi Anderson then missed a sitter on 37 minutes for the Robins when he latched onto Scarr’s misdirected header but one-on-one, he put his shot inches wide.

Swindon came out quickly in the second half and Matt Taylor’s pacy cross on 46 minutes caused panic and Brown just about managed to tip it away for a corner.

The high tempo continued and Akinfenwa wriggled free in the box on 48 minutes but was denied by a brave save from Charles-Cook.

Akinfenwa was causing havoc for the Robins defence and he met Brown’s raking kick with a bullet header which went just wide on 50 minutes.

The game ebbed and flowed and Swindon should have levelled on 57 minutes but Norris headed well wide with the goal gaping.

Akinfenwa had a wonderful opportunity of his own on the hour makr but put too much purchase on his header which sailed over after a superb cross from Cowan-Hall.

However, a minute later, Taylor's rasping strike sent the Robins supporters into raptures.

It was nip and tuck with both sides aiming to gain an advantage. Kaiyne Woolery almost put the visitors ahead on 68 minutes when he got the better of Adam El-Abd but his lob went just over with Brown beaten.

A moment of controversy occurred on 76 minutes when Marcus Bean's wonderful cross found Akinfenwa, who bulldozed it into the net but the striker was adjudged to have pushed his man and it was disallowed.

The Chairboys were beginning to get on top and Dominic Gape's blockbuster on 83 minutes was smartly parried by the busy Charles-Cook.

However, 'The Beast' had the last laugh with his late winner to keep Wycombe firmly on track in the promotion race.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Moore, Scarr, El-Abd, Jacobson, Bean, Gape, O’Nien, Mackail-Smith (sub: Freeman, 90), Akinfenwa, Cowan-Hall (sub: Tyson, 74). Subs: Ma-Kalambay, Bloomfield, McGinley, De Havilland, Freeman, Thompson.

SWINDON TOWN: Charles-Cook, Purkiss, Lancashire, Menayese, Taylor, Anderson (sub: Woolery, 54), Banks, Elsnik, Knoyle, Richards, Norris. Subs: Moore, Robertson, Mullin, Dunne, Iandolo, Romanski.

REFEREE: Andrew Madley