Ten years ago today, Wycombe Wanderers’ League Two match against Bristol Rovers ended in somewhat unique circumstances at Adams Park.

It was the start of the 2012/13 season and both teams were aiming for promotion back to League One.

The Chairboys had been relegated into the fourth tier in May of that calendar year, whilst Rovers were now in their second campaign in the division following their demotion in 2011.

The match was a somewhat average affair in terms of play, as the away side took a 3-1 lead at half-time.

Heavy rain hit Adams Park that day after a somewhat calm first-half

Heavy rain hit Adams Park that day after a somewhat calm first-half

Lee Brown gave the West Country outfit a three-minute lead before Richard Logan equalised for Wycombe just five minutes later with his first goal for the club.

He had joined from Exeter City that summer.

READ MORE: Gareth Ainsworth on the togetherness at Wycombe following the League Cup loss against Bristol City

Rovers would then smash home two quick-fire goals from Eliot Richards just before the break before things suddenly turned.

The first-half was played in somewhat humid but dry and cloudy weather.

The second-half however turned torrential as heavy rain battered parts of Adams Park.

The match continued but after numerous struggles on the pitch as it was difficult for the players, the attention turned towards the fans as it was revealed a bolt of lightning hit the away stand.

Bucks Free Press: What we published at the time when it happened What we published at the time when it happened

READ MORE: 'We keep things to ourselves for a reason' - Gareth Ainsworth on keeping Wycombe's injury news quiet

This caught the attention of the matchday and health officials present in Buckinghamshire that day, and after 15 minutes of deliberation, it was decided that the game would be abandoned at 63 minutes with Rovers 3-1 up.

Of course, the match was null and void but Rovers felt incredibly grieved by the decision that they opted to make an official complaint to the Football League.

Then chairman, Nick Higgins, said: "We were all very disappointed not to record our first win of the season at Wycombe on Saturday.

"It was very upsetting to have the game abandoned, especially after we had put in such a strong performance.

"Although we have questions regarding the decision, I think the important thing now is to move on and use the situation to spur us on.

READ MORE: 'It’s all about the league' - Gareth Ainsworth on Wycombe's defeat against Bristol City in the cup

"As a club we have sent a letter of complaint regarding the situation to the Football League, and we await a response."

Wanderers responded back with: "The club is aware that a complaint has been made by Bristol Rovers to the Football League.

"We are reviewing the content and will respond accordingly.

"We are confident the right decision was taken to abandon the game, with everyone’s safety within Adams Park, as always, the highest priority."

Bristol Rovers' complaint was eventually thrown out and a rescheduled match took place on Saturday, December 1, 2012.

READ MORE: 'It just sucks' - Wycombe defender Ryan Tafazolli explains his recent injury in YouTube video

This ended in 2-0 win for Wycombe which saw Joel Grant and then player-manager Gareth Ainsworth get onto the scoresheet.

Ainsworth's diving header in front of the terrace end 10 minutes into the second period was his final goal for the club.