Wycombe Wanderers’ first-ever League One play-off semi-final was a thrilling encounter as they smashed Joey Barton’s Fleetwood 4-1 at Highbury Stadium.

Gareth Ainsworth’s men produced an incredible display that saw three goals in the first six minutes, a goalkeeping error, two red cards, and a missed penalty.

READ MORE: As it happened: Fleetwood Town 1-4 Wycombe Wanderers 

The game got off to a lightning start when the Chairboys took the lead with 62 seconds on the clock when Nnamdi Ofoborh smashed in a half-volley from 25-yards.

It was the 20-year-old's second goal of the season.

However, the joy of going 1-0 up impacted Wycombe’s concentration as two minutes later, Fleetwood were awarded a penalty.

Ryan Allsop attempted to catch a floating ball but tripped up Town's Lewis Gibson, and referee Tony Harrington pointed to the spot.

Up-stepped Ched Evans, who was sent-off against Wanderers back in February, to equalise.  

READ MORE: Will our season have the dream ending? Take a look at Wycombe's season so far

But this didn’t faze Gareth Ainsworth’s men as just two minutes later, Joe Jacobson scored directly from a corner to regain Wycombe's lead.

The strike was later credited to Alex Cairns as an own goal, however, if it does go to the left-back, it will be his 11th of the campaign.

It got better for the Chairboys as they were awarded a penalty midway through the half. 

Lewie Coyle, who joined Fleetwood permanently from Leeds in January, was shown a straight red card for a terrible challenge on Jacobson, which led to some ugly scenes between both sets of players.

READ MORE: 'I wanted it to feel like we weren't apart' - Ainsworth on WhatsApp calls with his players

Once the melee had concluded, Jacobson picked himself up, and took the penalty but it was saved by Cairns.

The rebound was then met by David Wheeler who was then again denied by the goalkeeper, as he tipped the midfielder’s shot onto the post.

But they managed to get that all and important third strike of the evening, as Wheeler hammered home a volley on the stroke of half-time.

READ MORE: 'You've got to give him some respect' - Ainsworth full of praise for Joey Barton

The second-half started in a slower fashion but 10 minutes in, Wycombe sealed their first-leg victory through Alex Samuel, after a huge goalkeeping error from Cairns.

Allsop, who had sent a long free-kick into the Fleetwood box, was fumbled by the keeper and there was the Welshman to acrobatically tap it in - his first goal since January.

This completely killed-off Fleetwood’s chances of getting back into the match, and this was confirmed when Paddy Madden, the Cod Army’s top goal scorer, was shown two yellow cards in the space of a minute.

The striker, who had only been on the pitch for 18 minutes, was shown a yellow card for simulation after tangling with Darius Charles in the Wycombe penalty area, and after he didn’t get the decision he wanted, he told the assistant referee too much of what he thought.

READ MORE: Ainsworth on how empty stadiums could benefit the Chairboys

This will mean he will miss the second-leg at Adams Park, as well as Coyle.

It was very much Wycombe’s night as they took a commanding lead back to Buckinghamshire.

The second leg will be played at Adams Park on Monday, July 6.