Homes expected to flood, says Environment Agency, as havoc caused along River Thames in Marlow

Homes expected to flood

courtesy of Paul Mansell at Marlow FM

Homes expected to flood

Homes expected to flood

Homes expected to flood

Homes expected to flood

Homes expected to flood

First published in News by

HOMES in Marlow near the River Thames are under threat today from flooding, the Environment Agency has announced.

Floods have already caused havoc in the area, with Longridge outdoor activities centre completely submerged.

Water is lapping at the doors of Marlow FM's studios, also based at Longridge and overflowing waters have also affected The Compleat Angler Hotel.

The EA said today: “River levels on the Thames are still slowly rising and a few properties are expected to flood closest to the river in Marlow.”

Peter Quarmby, Environment Agency flood risk manager, said: “We are urging those living in flood risk areas close to rivers to remain vigilant and not become complacent as the rain eases off and stops in some places.


“Keep an eye on river levels, either by physically checking or by monitoring our website for the latest flooding situation and to sign up to receive direct flood warnings.

"It is important to act early to limit the damage a flood can cause to people and property. Our staff continue to work round the clock to manage the incident, to monitor river levels and to warn people should further flooding be expected.”

Amanda Foister, the founder of Longridge, said in the worst case scenario, if the waters reached the main offices, it may leave the charity run centre facing £100,000 in repairs. She estimates so far £50,000 of damage has been.

The cafe at the Quarry Wood Road site was abandoned earlier this week.

Longridge can not get flood insurance and has not got the necessary funds to buy defences. Mrs Foister said: “This is the worst I've ever seen it here. "We are now completely flooded and the only buildings that haven't' are the training centre and the boat house.

"It's a big step backward. With the repairs we'll now have to do we're starting 2013 a bit on the back foot, we've got things we wanted to achieve but none of those will now be possible.

Founder of Marlow FM Tim Ashburner said without 24 hour a day pumps operating inside the studio they would be under water.

He said: "All the way from car park to studio is under nearly a foot of water and the water is lapping at the door.

"We are literally holding back the water otherwise we'd be swamped.”

The station has a contingency plan to shift its equipment via a trailer and can operate from other sites if necessary.

Mr Ashburner said members of the volunteer run community broadcaster are determined to go on and does not think Marlow FM will have to stop broadcasting as a result.

With a shoestring budget, the high flood risk location is just something it has to learn to live with, Mr Ashburner said.

Longridge is appealing for funds to help buy new mobile flood defences.

Have you been affected by flooding so far? How is it affecting you and your home?

Leave your comments below or email bfpnews@london.newsquest.co.uk

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:29pm Thu 29 Nov 12

Tudor Bush says...

Someone needs to look up the meaning of 'literally'.
Someone needs to look up the meaning of 'literally'. Tudor Bush
  • Score: 0

7:05am Fri 30 Nov 12

williamjames says...

Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this.

It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.
Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this. It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors. williamjames
  • Score: 0

8:29am Fri 30 Nov 12

chrisH1000 says...

williamjames wrote:
Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this.

It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.
How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?
[quote][p][bold]williamjames[/bold] wrote: Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this. It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.[/p][/quote]How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river? chrisH1000
  • Score: 0

9:47am Fri 30 Nov 12

sparky49 says...

chrisH1000 wrote:
williamjames wrote:
Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this.

It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.
How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?
Build it away from the river far enough to reduce the risk of flooding and then use a launch vehicle to transport equipment to the river. This would make sense as they are unable to get insurance and are now facing a bill of over £100'000, although you need enough land to be able to do this in the first place. Failing that go cap in hand which always seems to happen.
[quote][p][bold]chrisH1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]williamjames[/bold] wrote: Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this. It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.[/p][/quote]How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?[/p][/quote]Build it away from the river far enough to reduce the risk of flooding and then use a launch vehicle to transport equipment to the river. This would make sense as they are unable to get insurance and are now facing a bill of over £100'000, although you need enough land to be able to do this in the first place. Failing that go cap in hand which always seems to happen. sparky49
  • Score: 0

10:23am Fri 30 Nov 12

Ivor'sbestfriend says...

sparky49 wrote:
chrisH1000 wrote:
williamjames wrote:
Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this.

It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.
How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?
Build it away from the river far enough to reduce the risk of flooding and then use a launch vehicle to transport equipment to the river. This would make sense as they are unable to get insurance and are now facing a bill of over £100'000, although you need enough land to be able to do this in the first place. Failing that go cap in hand which always seems to happen.
The equipment is already at the river . . .

Building further away from the river is also failed logic. The buildings at Longridge are further from the river channel than the buildings at Marlow Rowing Club, but only one of them has flooded.

What they need is a grant to put all of their buildings on stilts!
[quote][p][bold]sparky49[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]chrisH1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]williamjames[/bold] wrote: Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this. It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.[/p][/quote]How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?[/p][/quote]Build it away from the river far enough to reduce the risk of flooding and then use a launch vehicle to transport equipment to the river. This would make sense as they are unable to get insurance and are now facing a bill of over £100'000, although you need enough land to be able to do this in the first place. Failing that go cap in hand which always seems to happen.[/p][/quote]The equipment is already at the river . . . Building further away from the river is also failed logic. The buildings at Longridge are further from the river channel than the buildings at Marlow Rowing Club, but only one of them has flooded. What they need is a grant to put all of their buildings on stilts! Ivor'sbestfriend
  • Score: 0

5:22pm Fri 30 Nov 12

J B Blackett says...

chrisH1000 wrote:
williamjames wrote:
Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this.

It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.
How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?
On Stilts. Or alternatively a floating, mobile or inflatable one or in some way maneuverable .
.
But do not build fixed buildings with ground-anchored foundations next to a river that has a centuries-long history of flooding on land that is surrounded by gravel pits or the flooded remains thereof.
.
Express surprise or utter dismay when river water bubbles up through the ground on occasions after lots of rain upstream may not make it go away.
[quote][p][bold]chrisH1000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]williamjames[/bold] wrote: Build on the FLOO PLAIN and what do you expect! There is a reason why such low lying areas by rivers are called flood plains, that is because they flood when the river rises. Any basic geography student will tell you this. It is probably not WDC's fault that building was allowed on the flood plains but the greedy developers and acquiescing government inspectors.[/p][/quote]How do you build a rowing training centre away from the river?[/p][/quote]On Stilts. Or alternatively a floating, mobile or inflatable one or in some way maneuverable . . But do not build fixed buildings with ground-anchored foundations next to a river that has a centuries-long history of flooding on land that is surrounded by gravel pits or the flooded remains thereof. . Express surprise or utter dismay when river water bubbles up through the ground on occasions after lots of rain upstream may not make it go away. J B Blackett
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree