Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or email
Today is the start of National Chip Week
National Chip Week begins today, and whether you enjoy your chips with salt and vinegar, gravy or curry sauce, the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging everyone to take care when cooking them.
Chip week is a fun event that encourages all the family to enjoy one of the nation’s favourite foods.
However last year in the UK, more than half of all accidental fires in the home started in the kitchen, with chip pan fires having a very high rate of casualties.
The smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
Advice from the fire service for those who use a chip pan includes:
• do not overfill a chip pan with oil – one third full is plenty
• be careful that it does not overheat
• use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryerP
• never throw water on a chip pan fire
• do not cook while drinking excessive alcohol
• do not take risks in tackling a fire. Get out, stay out and call 999.
• get a smoke alarm and test it weekly
Comments are closed on this article.