Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or upload here
Council working to evict travellers from site in High Wycombe
TRAVELLERS are believed to have broken into a council-owned site in High Wycombe and police are now reportedly working to evict them.
Almost 20 caravans are said to be on the former Compair Site in the Hughenden Quarter, High Wycombe, after they left a site in Loudwater this morning.
Wycombe District Council spokesman, Catherine Spalton, said: “We are aware that around 18 caravans are currently occupying our land at the former Compair site, after the site was broken into.
“Thames Valley Police are working with our appointed security services company to ensure a safe and peaceful eviction of the travellers and their caravans from our land.”
The land is currently pending redevelopment for a mix of uses, including business, residential and care uses.
The first phase of a development for student accommodation has already been completed at the northern end of the site.
Travellers vacated another industrial site in Loudwater this morning after the owner of the land served them an eviction order.
It is not yet known if the travellers in the Hughenden Quarter are the same people who left the site on Boundary Road, Loudwater earlier today.
The Bucks Free Press reported yesterday that more than 15 caravans had moved onto the private land in Loudwater.
It is understood the travellers told police they were only staying for a wedding taking place in Uxbridge and were soon expecting to move out of the county again.
However, they only left this morning at about 11am after the owner asked them to.
It is believed they had been there since Thursday, April 17.