Send your news, photos and videos by texting bucksfreepress to 80360 or upload here
Children taken to hospital after swimming lesson
MORE than a dozen primary schoolchildren were taken to hospital with breathing difficulties after a swimming class at a leisure centre.
Children from Gateway School in Great Missenden were taken to Wexham Park and Stoke Mandeville Hospitals after using the swimming pool at the Chesham Leisure Centre yesterday.
The children have since been released after they were checked out by medics for symptoms including headaches, sickness and coughing.
In total, 13 children - all five years old - were taken to hospital and a further five treated at the school, along with four adults.
A close friend of one of the parents said the families are “fuming”.
The woman, who declined to give her name, told the BFP: “The children have been checked and are all fine, thank god, but no-one wants their children subjected to chemicals.
“We’re so cross as we are not getting any answers – there has been no confirmation about what happened or what was in the water.”
The woman added it was the children’s first swimming class at the leisure centre in White Hill.
Gateway headteacher Sue La Farge said: “I am pleased that everyone responded so responsibly to this incident.
"Pupils and parents were naturally upset but the school contacted parents and the ambulance and paramedic team responded swiftly and professionally with the children.”
The BFP has contacted Chiltern District Council and the operator for comment.
Police, paramedics and firefightes were called to the scene at about 1pm on Thursday.
Thames Valley Police tweeted to say the children had been affected by a "brief spike in cleaning chemicals in the pool".
Children affected by a brief spike in cleaning chemicals at Chesham Leisure Centre pool. Fire & TVP agree no lasting risk. Kids now better.— TVP Chiltern (@TVP_Chiltern) May 1, 2014
More to come later.
Comments are closed on this article.