Newport County 2 – Wycombe Wanderers 0.

A FORMER Wanderers striker has left the club clinging onto their Football League status after they succumbed to their 18th loss of the season.

Former Wycombe striker, Chris Zebroski, scored in the second-half to ensure Wycombe returned to Adams Park empty handed.

The Chairboys must now face a galvanised Northampton Town team who beat play-off hopefuls Burton Albion 1-0 earlier today.

Only goal difference now separates the two clubs lingering towards the bottom of League Two.

Although unable to create many clear cut chances Wycombe were deservedly level at half-time but they were unable to carry on their form from last week as they conceded two second-half goals.

Newport County star, Rene Howe opened the scoring on 65 minutes after Wanderers failed to clear the ball from a long throw-in.

Just six minutes later the game was all over as Zebroski latched onto a looping ball and sealed the victory for his side.

The game, which started seven minutes later than normal - in remembrance of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster - was hotly anticipated by the travelling Wycombe fans.

Following on from their home victory last weekend many hoped this game would see the club push on and away from the relegation zone.

The game started evenly and although Nick Arnold had the opposition panicking with an early free-kick, neither side were able to maintain any pressure through their passing.

However, the defender almost sent the away fans into an early jubilation but his goal bound shot was blocked on the line.

Another Arnold free-kick threatened again later on in the first half, but Newport goalkeeper, Ian McLoughlin, pulled off a stunning save to keep out Steven Craig’s header.

Chances were also made at the other end with Matt Ingram having to save a shot from Christian Jolley to deny the hosts.

Despite a couple of good chances from both sides the 0-0 half-time score line was a fair result.

However, Wycombe were blown apart late on in the second-half as the home team were able to pull the victory out of the bag.

Despite a couple of early clearances from the away side, it was the Chairboys who created the best chance of the early stages with Newport just clearing an Arnold cross when Max Kretzschmar was lurking behind for the tap-in.

Kretzschmar was soon replaced after the chance as he seemed to pick up a knock.

Soon after the substitute, the deadlock was broken.

Wycombe were left scrambling as they failed to clear a long throw-in and Howe was perfectly placed to prod home for the opening goal.

His strike was soon followed by another from Zebroski who broke clear from his defender to smash home the winner.

Zebroski smashed his shot into the top right hand corner of the goal with the impressive Howe, claiming the assist.

Despite a couple of late attempts from Kuffour Wycombe were unable to trouble their opposition who easily claimed the three points.

Wanderers now face a Northampton Town side who have won their last two games, on Friday night.

Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Pierre, Rowe, Arnold (SUB Jeffrey), Wood, Lewis (c), Scowen, Kretzschmar (SUB Morgan), McClure, Craig (SUB Kuffour).