IF there is a more successful team in Bucks than Amersham & Chiltern RFC’s U17s please stand up now.

Emulating the achievements of the boys from Weedon Lane will take some doing though, after they capped a staggering five-year unbeaten run with the club’s first ever national title.

They made club history just by reaching the RFI National Plate Competition.

But they didn’t stop there and their subsequent 22-0 victory over Driffield at Sale Sharks’ AJ Bell Stadium has been described by some within the club as the greatest win in Amersham’s history.

The triumph capped an incredible era of dominance for the team, which has progressed unbeaten through the age groups since they were U13s.

They won the Bucks Cup that year and lifted the county cup again as U14s, and when league competition kicked in at U15s level they promptly won the double before repeating the feat as U16s.

This season though, they really pushed the boundaries, reaching the Plate Final as South West champions following victories over teams from Dorst, Devon and Cornwall.

That set up a semi-final with Saracens’ feeder team and London and South East winners Old Albanians, and a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory extended their proud record.

Compared to that, the final itself was routine as Driffield failed to score a single point.

Amersham’s pack won the argument early on and with that settled they fed the ball to the backs for wing Scott Kilbey to fly over in the corner.

Ollie Choules stepped up for the difficult touchline conversion but the boot that had secured Amersham’s place in the final was as unerring as ever. Straight from the restart captain Elliot Ayling got his team on the front foot again and after the pack had shunted Driffield back into their own 22 Tom Darvill pierced the line for try number two.

Again Choules was on target to make it 14-0 and although Driffield tried to fight back before half time and then after the interval, Amersham’s defence absorbed everything that was thrown at them before Choules scored a superb individual try to nudge his side into a 19-0 lead.

The conversion went wide, but Choules’ penalty was the final nail in the coffin on a day that will forever be etched in the club’s record books.