Wycombe Wanderers got a well deserved point against Newport County after a gutsy display gave Gareth Ainsworth's men a 0-0 draw.

Both teams had chances at Rodney Parade but found goalkeepers Scott Brown and Joe Day in inspired form.

Wanderers' best chances fell to the lively Josh Umerah and Anthony Stewart.

Umerah saw his header on 57 minutes brilliantly tipped over by Day. From the resulting corner, Stewart saw his bullet header cleared off the line.

Brown produced several superb saves, most notably from Padraig Amond on 51 minutes when he parried his header wide from point-blank range.

The Chairboys also had a huge shout for a penalty in the second half when Umerah wriggled his way into the box and appeared to be hauled down but referee Ben Toner waved away any protestations.

Wanderers had the first chance of the game on two minutes when Paris Cowan-Hall turned smartly but saw his daisycutter from 20 yards comfortably held by Day.

Newport had a brilliant opportunity to take the lead on six minutes when Frank Nouble cut in and saw his shot superbly tipped away by Brown. The rebound fell to Amond who saw his effort well held by the Wycombe keeper.

Amond had a chance to make amends a minute later when Dan Butler’s deep cross found the striker but he headed wide under pressure from Adam El-Abd.

It was a frenetic start with County just having the upper hand but Michael Harriman got forward well on 11 minutes, unfortunately his long-range effort went well wide of the target.

After a scrappy passage of play, where neither side could get a real foothold, Sean Rigg has a golden chance to score but his back-post header was blocked by Harriman on 20 minutes.

The Chairboys would always pose a threat on the break with their pace and Umerah released Craig Mackail-Smith down the right midway through the first half but his teasing cross was headed wide by Cowan-Hall on the stretch.

After a short spell of possession in the Newport half, Luke O’Nien saw his shot excellent palmed away by Day on 28 minutes after being teed up by Matt Bloomfield 18 yards out.

O’Nien again stung the palms of the County custodian from 30 yards a couple of minutes later with a rasping volley.

Back came Michael Flynn’s side and Rigg found Amond 12 yards out but his bullet header went inches over.

Rigg was beginning to cause problems for the Blues and he saw another cross find Amond on 40 minutes but his glancing header was easily held by Brown.

County striker Amond had another sighter moments before half-time but his firm header was tipped over expertly by Brown.

Seconds after that, Reece Cole let fly from distance and Brown was equal to it, parrying it away to safety.

Newport certainly started the second half the brighter and six minutes in saw Brown at his very best to deny Amond.

The Chairboys then had their best two chances thanks to Joe Jacobson's sensational corners but somehow County cleared before the controversial moment involving a massive decision for a potential Wanderers penalty.

Mackail-Smith then wasted a glorious opportunity to put Wanderers 1-0 up when the dangerous Umerah played a delightful low cross into the area on the hour but the former Peterborough put it wide from 10 yards.

The game was still very much in the balance and Marcus Bean was next to have a go but his strike from distance was tipped wide by the excellent Day.

The Blues were finishing the game strongly and Mackail-Smith had another decent chance to score but he headed over from Cowan-Hall's cross with five minutes to go.

Amond nearly broke Blues hearts on 89 minutes but his curler from 20 yards went inches wide with Brown looking beaten.

All in all, a decent point for the Chairboys and Ainsworth will be delighted with a first clean sheet of the season from his side.

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Brown, Harriman, Stewart, El-Abd, Jacobson, Gape (sub: Bean, 64), O’Nien, Bloomfield (sub: Eze, 79), Cowan-Hall, Umerah, Mackail-Smith. Subs: Richardson, Scarr, Jombati, Bean, Southwell, Freeman.

NEWPORT COUNTY: Day, Pipe, White, Demetriou, Butler, Willmott (sub: Owen-Evans, 84), Labadie (sub: Cole, 44), Dolan, Rigg (sub: Tozer, 72), Nouble, Amond. Subs: Bittner, Bennett, Quigley, Jahraldo.

REFEREE: Ben Toner