Penn & Tylers Green FC made the short trip to Holyport on Saturday and it was a happy one as they came away with all three points in a match which was hard on the eye at times but two goals from Holyport old boy Jamie West secured the victory for Penn which also ensured they moved back to the top of the league.

The game was only five minutes old when Penn had their first chance of the game when from a corner a scramble ensued and the chance went begging from six yards out. Further chances followed, but Penn’s finishing was out of sorts and so instead of being two goals to the good after 15 minutes the score remained at 0-0. 

As is the case in these scenarios that inspired Holyport to get back into the game carve out some half chances themselves but the Penn defence, which has only let in three goals all season, held firm.

With the match looking like a 0-0 half-time scoreline, the breakthrough came for Penn when after a good in swinging corner from Casey Bocarro, the ball fell kindly for West who turned and smashed the ball home from six yards to give Penn a deserved lead at half-time based on the balance of play. 

The second half never really took off as Penn, although in control, never really carved out any decent chances and although territorially having the upper hand the Holyport goalkeeper was rarely tested. 

However, Holyport were no shrinking violets and spurred on by the fact that 1-0 is always a precarious lead to defend, did have some good spells and a couple of half decent chances. 

On 75 minutes Nile O’Meally-Newell, who has returned to the club, came on for George Weller to make his debut. 

With the game looking like it was to be a 1-0 win for Penn, in the 89th minute Josh Fox, as only he can do, produced one of the passes of the season when he volleyed the ball from one side of the pitch to the other into the path of West and he was too strong for his marker and he fired his shot from the corner of the Holyport penalty area past the despairing dive of the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net via the post.

What a fitting way to finish and there was no way back for Holyport.