Wycombe suffered an away defeat when they lost 32-19 to Reading Abbey.

Abbey took the lead with a converted try after charging down the scrum.

However, Wycombe levelled after a wayward pass fell to prop Rob Johnson who scooped up the ball and showed tremendous pace to outstrip the defence and score under the post, which was converted. 

The away side, buoyed by the try, were forcing Abbey into giving away penalties and at a scrum on the twenty-two Wycombe were awarded a free kick which they took quickly. 

The forwards carried the ball well and set up a ruck close to the line, the ball was spun out to the backs where winger Harry Tanner was stopped just short of the line but some good support from Charlie Edwards enabled him to pick up the ball and dive over the line to score to make it 12-7 at the break to Wycombe.

However, Abbey came out strongly for the second half and immediately scored a converted try to go back in the lead. 

Minutes later, at the scrum, the Abbey number eight picked up from the base and scored in the corner 19-12. 

Both teams seemed to be tiring but it was Wycombe who were dropping off tackles and this allowed Abbey to add a further two tries one from their backs and then straight from the kick off a number of missed tackles allowed a long range try to take the score out to 29-12.  

Wycombe regained their composure and continued to play attractive rugby. Rob Johnson made another great break and he offloaded to Eddie Roche who was striding into the Abbey twenty two, another excellent offload to Henry Wyse saw Wycombe close in on the line. 

The ball found its way out wide to full back Andy Easton who cut back inside to score another incredible team try under the post, kick made 29-19. With ten minutes to go Wycombe were now pressing for their fourth try and a bonus point but couldn’t make an impression on the home team’s line.

In the dying minutes Abbey were awarded a penalty and instead of going for the corner decided to run the clock down and take the three points 32-19.