CHESHAM United climbed back to the top of the table in the BetVictor Southern Premier South after a 2-0 win against Welsh club Merthyr Town on Saturday.

It is the fourth time this season that The Generals have set the pace in the race for the title and, helped with Truro City only managing a draw at Gosport Borough, they lead the chasing pack by two points.

Chesham were unfortunate not to break the deadlock at The Meadow when a Billy Adcock corner kick was dummied by Steve Brown, but Zak Joseph saw his shot cleared off the line.

The opening goal eventually came as man-of-the-match Bradley Clayton fired in a shot and keeper Alex Harries parried the ball upwards where Brown was in the right place to head in from close range on 24 minutes.

The Generals doubled the advantage four minutes into the second half when a shot from Mark Kirby was cleared but Eoin Casey netted the loose ball.

READ MORE: Chesham United get their title challenge back on track with a win at Blackfield & Langley

Chesham remain at The Meadow for the visit of promotion-chasing Swindon Supermarine on Tuesday night (7.45pm). The Generals will be looking to gain some revenge for a 2-1 defeat suffered in the reverse fixture back in October.

Beaconsfield Town suffered a fourth consecutive away defeat in the league after a 2-0 loss at Wimborne Town.

Bucks Free Press:

PHOTO: Chesham United star Eoin Casey scored the second goal in the win against Merthyr Town on Saturday.

The Rams have not won away from Holloways Park since the victory at Blackfield & Langley back in mid-December and they remain eight points from safety.

Wimborne broke the deadlock inside four minutes at The Cuthbury when a Luke Burbidge corner kick was headed on by Joe Byrne and Sam Bayston rifled the ball past keeper Myles Bowman.

The visitors had the chance to equalise before the break, but James Ewington shot wide of the post following and under-hit back-pass from Antonio Diaz.

READ MORE: Nominations are now open for the Berks & Bucks FA Welfare Officer Award

Wimborne appealed for a penalty kick in the second half as Tony Lee went down inside the box after a challenge from Jordan Ajanlekoko, but the referee saw it as a dive and cautioned the striker.

The home side doubled the advantage when a low cross from Lee was swept into the net by Burbidge from inside the box just after the hour mark.

Beaconsfield then suffered a double blow as Nathan Webb was sent off for a second bookable offence, before his younger brother Callum Webb was dismissed for his second yellow, leaving them with nine men for the remaining 15 minutes.

The Rams make the trip to fifth bottom Hartley Witney this Saturday (3pm) looking to gain some revenge for the 2-1 defeat suffered in the reverse fixture back in October.